Looking for my photography website? Just click here!!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

{Day One of C25K}


Yesterday was day one of my Couch to 5K (C25K) program. My friend Kristen suggested that I blog about it, so that way I'm being held accountable for keeping this up.... good point! If you don't see anything on my blog, you've gotta tell me!


C25K is basically a program that helps a person become a runner over 8 weeks. I watched a few weeks ago how the Biggest Loser contestants went home, and one of them (Laura) said that Jillian told her that running was the fastest way to lose weight. Since I've been trying to lose weight.... running might help a bit more. AND, since we have this amazing trail behind our house now, and I've been taking the girls a few times a week to ride their bikes there, it just makes sense for me to start running it so I can keep up w/ them a little. Now, I don't think I want to run a 5K (I might... but it's not why I want to run). I just want to be able to *like* running, and to get in shape faster.


So, week 1 is walk 5 minutes briskly, then jog for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, then repeat w/ the jog for 60 seconds, walk for 90, etc. The program says to do this for 20 minutes, but I did it for 30 minutes. Towards the end of my 30 minutes, I was tired. I found the running uphill was hard..... very hard. And I'm very thankful for my sports bra. I didn't suffer a concussion w/ my bouncing boobs. I have to repeat this 3 x this week. I will do the second one tomorrow, and report back. I think one thing that will eventually help me is a sportswatch, or something that I can see the seconds better. My regular watch was a little hard to read. I've also found some podcasts that has music to it in the intervals (60 seconds/90 seconds) so you know when to run/walk. Might have to download those onto Katie's ipod. I ended my run/walk with a brisk (OK, I was dragging) walk back home and so altogether I did this for 40 - 45 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome. You're off to a great start. I started this awhile back but it was summer and so blasted hot. Not the smartest thing. I agree, the next item on my list was as stop watch, but that podcast thing sounds interesting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I am so proud of you! Running is a fantastic way to lose weight. As a matter of fact it's my favorite. One tip that for losing weight that I tell everyone about running is that when you get to the point where you are breathing so hard you cannot speak you are running too hard. You are no longer burning fat, you are building muscle. Once you get up to speed try to stay at a brisk jog. It burns weight better than sprints. :) Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good for you amy!! running is definitely the fastest way to lose weight (remember, i told you that!) and you will see results fast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay Amy! You're doing great! I think that the running is helping me in the weight loss area, I was down 3.5 lbs. this week! I started week 2 yesterday and it about killed me, and I'm even on a treadmill, so you're doing awesome!

    They say to do it 3x a week, and I would recommend spacing those out. I'm always so sore the day after, and it makes for an even more rough run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats how our cousin Stevi lost all of her weight. Running-- she sprinted the straights and walked the curves of a track. Good for you!!!! Wish I could run right now-- I can hardly walk right now, this baby needs to come out!--hahaha
    PS--I LOVE the biggest looser!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails