Looking for my photography website? Just click here!!

Friday, May 7, 2010

...flashback friday... MUSIC!!

I love music.
99% of the time, I can't understand the words to the music, so I could really be enjoying the music to a really bad song {like Lady Gaga}. Or I could be making up my own lyrics and singing along to what I THINK is the actual lyrics, and they're not {like the song Zombie.... I thought it said "In your head in your head... stop it stop it stop it it it it it. Makes sense to me!}.


Back in the early '90's my brother and I were TOTALLY into UB40. I mean... the "staying up way past our bedtime just to see them on David Lettermen" fan. When they came through Kansas City, I was the first one waiting in line at our grocery store in front of the Ticketmaster (OK, I was the ONLY one) waiting for the clock to hit 8:00 just to snag front row seats. Did I get them? You bet I did! My brother and I sat in FRONT ROW! Wahoo! Course, we were way off to the side, which is the opposite of what the girl told me we'd be. Oh well. We were still FRONT ROW baby! My mom & her friend decided to join us. They sat in the VERY back row. Like, the last row of the auditorium. At least they could dance their heart out and not have to worry about people getting mad at them for blocking their view (which is what my friend Melissa & I did last Saturday night at the George Strait concert.... another post about that coming soon).

Some songs really bring back memories. A few years ago the song "Take On Me" came on the radio, and all of a sudden I hear a little 7 year old voice matching the high notes perfectly to the "oooooooo" melody. Ahhh.... love that my girls love the '80's. Course, it was all they listened to. That and the Wiggles. Die hard fan of the Wiggles music over here.

Then I recall the times of church gatherings growing up. My grandparents put together a big songbook of old songs like "Blowing in the Wind" and "If I had a Hammer"... y'know, those old songs back in the '60's & '70's? Well, after a big church picnic, someone would start strumming their guitar, and these song books would be passed around. Think of someone beating a spoon on their knees, and someone blowing into a jug... ok, just kidding on that. We weren't hillbillies! Anyways, everyone would sing along. I guess that's why they call it a "sing along?!" Good times. Good times. And yes, I love those songs too.
Puff the magic dragon... lived by the sea.... ahhh, love Peter, Paul & Mary

My family was always asked to sing at weddings. My aunt & uncle would harmonize together. My dad, grandma & aunt would sing together. I remember Perhaps Love & Annie's Song by John Denver being sung. I'm sure my dad will read this and remember otherwise, but I remember that song being sung SOMEWHERE!

Another song that takes me back is Seven Bridges Road. My dad, grandpa & uncle are all excellent singers. They used to sing these songs at family gatherings/karaoke parties. I remember how I loved listening to them harmonizing with each other. The last time I heard them singing this song, my brother was able to join in. Good memories...
I miss those days of listening to my family singing together.





So yes, some music can bring back wonderful memories.



1 comment:

  1. I also love MUSIC. I just wish i could sing.
    Whenever i hear this song, it reminds me of my sisters. They loved Bread.


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mflw8-BZdV0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails