Looking for my photography website? Just click here!!

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

watching you

Every once in awhile I'll get a startling awakening as a mother... and I find myself wondering if I'm really doing what I should be doing as a mother. Or rather, if I'm doing all I can do as a mother. Am I a good example to my kids? Do I want my kids taking on my habits?

We all have heard the "Do as I say, not as I do" story over & over again. We've all heard the "someone is always watching you" poems, that just tugs at your heart. Little ones literally are watching us at all times. Someone is ALWAYS watching us... neighbors, friends, family... everyone.

A few weeks ago, I heard a song on the radio, and I've always liked the song. Didn't know who sung it, and I didn't know the words. I just heard "cuz I've been watching you" as part of the lyrics. So, I came home, looked up my radio station and found the song. Read the words online ... and for some reason, it just put shivers down my body. I love the message this song is sending to us.



Years ago when Katie was 3 years old, she was watching Mike change out something electrical. Not entirely sure what the circumstance was, but Mike said the four letter S word, in front of Katie. She heard him, and she repeated it. In front of my grandma. My grandma asked her "where did you hear that word?!!!" Katie told her "from my daddy." gulp

Yeah...

So, I am going to strive to be a better example to my girls. They're picking up some bad habits (like their room & bathroom.... never clean! But then again, neither is my room & bathroom!). I realize that I only have a little over 5 years left with Katie before she leaves for college. That's not long. I have so much to do... so much to show her... so much to teach her. Trust me, our babies grow up so fast!

So, I am making a promise to myself, and to my girls, that I will do better in the things that truly matter: spiritually .... physically. Make sure we have scripture reading & prayers daily. Make sure we exercise. Eat healthy. Serve others. The list goes on & on.

Because really, the best example our children will ever watch, is us. Are YOU the best example for your kids? Just remember, our children are watching us. Are you OK with what you are teaching them by your actions? Or by what you say? Frankly, I'm not OK with what I do. I can do better... and I will do better.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, That is a great song and a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap, now I have to clean my bathroom. And I guess I should stop saying crap too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, if your bathroom and bedroom aren't clean, then mine are classified disaster areas. Bring in the troops and federal aid money.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails