Looking for my photography website? Just click here!!

Friday, June 29, 2012

Katie goes to EFY ...

Imagine my surprise last fall when I learn that EFY (Especially for Youth program in the LDS church for youth ages 14-18 years old put on by BYU) is located here in San Antonio (as well as multiple cities around the USA).  I always hoped that one day the girls would be able to go to EFY, but Mike said at one time "it'll never happen"... meaning, he wouldn't put our daughters on a plane to go to Provo, Utah to participate at EFY.  I get it.. I would be nervous as well.

However, it was here in SAN ANTONIO!!!  So, I got Katie registered back last fall and by January the drawings were taking place to see what number she was drawn -- and if we got the spot (session) we wanted, etc.

Her best friend Madison also tried to get the same session as well, and both applied to be roommates with each other.

SO... last Monday morning Madison's mom Rachel & I loaded up the Explorer with the girls and their things (and another friend who needed a ride) .... and off we took off for the University that EFY was being held at.  I'm so grateful it's only about 15-20 minutes away!
IMG_9192

It was a very very hot day.  I mean... sweat pooling down your back after being in the heat for 2 minutes and 29 seconds.  HOT HOT HOT!  Imagine our surprise (after it took us 15 minutes to drive around the campus trying to find the building) that the line we were supposed to be in snaked around here & there ... and we waited in line for 45 minutes in the hot hot sun?!  Yup.  It was hot.

IMG_9191


But, we made it into the air conditioning (aka ... picked up the badges, keys, etc) and found the dorms.  The girls were so excited!  We were excited for them!  At EFY, they have classes daily (teaching them things like how to read the scriptures), and they have service projects, dances, devotionals, and game nights.  It's so much fun that kids every year want to return.  It's a pretty hefty price tag though!!   The theme for this year is "Arise & Shine Forth".


IMG_9199

Are they excited or what?!!

IMG_9194

Their counselor decorated their doors for them! 

IMG_9200

"No Mom!  Don't help me make my bed!  I can do it by myself!" ... said the 14 year old.  Then she couldn't get the last of the corners to get tucked in .... I guess college twin beds are longer than normal twin beds?  Never to fear.. Mom to the rescue!

We had to buy twin bedding sheets because we didn't own any!  Good thing I remembered two nights before otherwise she would've been in trouble!

IMG_9195

Complete with a quilt at home... her bed is ready!  Check out the fridge & microwave in the corner?  Madison's mom brought them food for the week to munch on.  Spoiled kids... :)

IMG_9201

I've missed Katie this week .... I pick her up at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning.  She's been texting me at night and sometimes during the day letting me know she's still alive.  One of the funniest things that both she & her BFF have texted me was "I can stuff my mouth with a whole orange!!"  I can't wait to hear all that she has learned!

She did text me tonight and told me that she got up to bear her testimony of the gospel -- so super proud of her! :)

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I never went to EFY, but it sure does look fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Playing catch up, haven't logged on in a while. But how fun for her!! Wish I could have gone to EFY too:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails